Environmental wellness is awareness of the unstable state of the earth and the effects of your daily habits on the physical environment. It consists of maintaining a way of life that maximizes harmony with the earth and minimizes harm to the environment. It includes incorporating nature in your life to feel a sense of peace and wellness. It includes being involved in socially responsible activities to protect the environment.
Topics may include sustainable wellness, nature/forest therapy, and the impact of your surroundings on your wellness.
- Understanding how your social, natural, and built environments affect your health and well-being
- Being aware of the unstable state of the earth and the effects of your daily habits on the physical environment
- Demonstrating commitment to a healthy planet
Tips and suggestions for optimal environmental wellness:
- Stop your junk mail
- Conserving water and other resources
- Minimize chemical use
- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
- Renew your relationship with the earth
Strategies to renew your relationship with earth can include but are not limited to:
- Walk, ride a bike, or take the bus whenever you can instead of driving a car.
- Eat locally produced food.
- Engage in healthy physical activity in nature when you can by walking in parks, going for hikes, studying outside, etc.
- Protect yourself from environmental hazards such as loud noise, pollution, secondhand smoke, and ultraviolet radiation.
- Walk or run in a park or on nature trails instead of on a treadmill.
- Maintain a clean and organized living space.
More specific options are within your heart, and you should consider what is best for you.
- It is important to give back to mother earth as she has given us some much for millions of years. We can Reduce, Reuse, recycle to eliminate plastics in her waters and in part saving animals too.
- Ways you can reduce and reuse it are by using reusable containers for lunches and outings.
- You can use laundry sheets instead of liquid laundry that fills our landfills every day.
- You can recycle aluminum cans because we know we cannot cut our addictions to soda all together. But you can at least recycle cans and bottles to reduce the landfills.
- You can use reusable lunch bags instead of disposable plastic bags.
- In the importance of recycling, reducing, and reusing we all must support companies and groups who choose consciousness over profit. Supporting b-corporations who have proven their value to earth and environment and upholding stands for the future. These companies are reducing carbon footprints, improving packaging to make it more compost friendly and reducing water use allowing future generations to thrive.
- Companies like Seventh Generation, ECOS, and Attitude produce laundry and household cleaners and Bentology, EcoVessel and ChicoBag produce cutlery, reusable containers, and reusable bags for all occasions.
- I am proud to partner with California Herban Life which is an online shop that carries all the above brands plus hundreds of others that were carefully selected based on the environmental consciousness of them, their quality, and their reasonable price models that allow pinched households to choose environment and health over spending and regret. As always go to caherbanlife.com and use Circle22 at checkout to save 10% more off your entire order.
- Besides using environmentally friendly goods consider eating self-grown produce instead of grocery stores because you control what is used to grow them, making changes to your health one day at a time. Or choose the local farmers market to ensure the produce is grown in the same area so you are aware of the environmental hazards that could affect your choices.
- Find your local farmers market locations at https://www.usdalocalfoodportal.com
- Plant a tree or two around your property. Trees give the environment oxygen to survive and by planting new trees you are being environmentally well for yourself and mother earth.
- Ground with Mother Earth. I talked about this last week as a spiritual wellness tool, but as I have said all season, total wellness comes from a multi-dimensional state each dimension affects the other and without one wellness state you cannot achieve the total wellness or harmony you need to be the best version of you.
- And my favorite because I have seen the amazing difference from then and how. Reduce chemical usage as much as possible.
- Replacing chemical infused household cleaners with natural household cleaners that incorporate essential oils and other natural ingredients has made a huge change in my household. I no longer break out in rashes, and I have found that my sneezing fits are truly seasonal weather forecasting for me and most importantly my overall well-being is balanced and happy without all those chemically unsafe products.